Being a vegetarian doesn’t mean that you will be deprived of the lip-smacking flavors of hot dogs. During trips to supermarkets and grocery stores, you must have come across frozen faux-meat or tofu hot dogs in the processed food section. They might satisfy your hot-dog cravings to some extent. But if you ask me – I hate them! I find them unusually hard, chewy and obviously unhealthy (don’t forget the preservatives in them)! So, I prefer to make my own version of hot dogs at home. They are purely vegetarian, fresh, easy on pocket and definitely more nutritious alternatives to its fake store-brought counterparts.
My veggie hot dogs are the right package of stir-fried paneer-veggie mixture stuffed into soft hot dog buns and topped with oh-so-gooey melted cheese. They are not only hassle-free to make, but taste and smell awesome as well. Whether you serve them as a quick lunch or whip up a whole bunch of them for house parties, these home-made veggie hot dogs never fail to steal the show. Even my non-vegetarian friends are in love with them!
Now it’s time to give a tough competition to the real hot dogs. So let’s check out its recipe!
Add tomatoes, bell peppers, and carrots, stirring occasionally.
Add paneer (Tofu can be substituted).
Mix very well.
Place hot dog buns on the baking pan.
Spread ketchup evenly over buns.
Stuff veggies mixture into the buns.
Sprinkle the cheese on top.
Bake until cheese melts.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5-10 minutes
- olive oil - 1 tsp
- tomato - 1/2, chopped
- bell pepper - 2, chopped
- carrot - 5-6, grated
- paneer or tofu - 1/2 cup, scrambled
- salt - to taste
- black pepper - to taste
- cheddar cheese - optional
- hot dog buns - 6
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat
- Add tomatoes, bell peppers, and carrots, stirring occasionally until they are softened
- Add a dash each of salt plus black pepper as well as paneer (tofu) and mix well.
- Remove from heat. Do not overcook. Keep them crunchy.
- Place hot dog buns on the baking pan.
- Spread ketchup evenly over buns
- Stuff veggies mixture into the buns
- Sprinkle the cheese on top.
- Transfer to oven and bake until cheese melts and begins to brown.
- Remove from oven
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Drizzle mustard over each hot dog bun.