I sport a special corner for red kidney beans and it didn’t take much time to spread this love among my kids too. After all, it’s hard to turn your face away from drool-worthy sight of the red kidney-shaped darlings, swimming in spicy gravy – it’s the ultimate gastronomic satisfaction trapped in a bowl!
I always have an inclination to cook food which takes less time to prepare yet never disappoint when it comes to flavors. And what could be more hassle-free then cooking rajma curry for my family in a pressure cooker when I am running short of time. However, in spite of being appetizing, the pressure cooker version of this dish really can’t compete with the flavors of the mushier one cooked on the hob. The aromatic gravy of tomatoes and onions, jazzed up with the Indian exotic spices will knock you out with its soaring yum quotient. And, the slow-cooking over the stove-top allows the zesty flavors to seep into the red kidney beans, thus turning every spoonful into a flavorsome fest. No wonder, a simple dish from North India has taken the entire country by storm and won hearts of many.
So let’s not keep you waiting anymore and introduce you to my simple yet great recipe of rajma curry with you all!
Step by Step Photos: Rajma Curry (Red Kidney Beans Curry) Recipe
Heat oil in a pan
Add chopped onions and sauté until gold brown. Add garlic-ginger paste and fry for 1-2 mins. Add garam masala, turmeric power, red chili, coriander powder, and salt. Mix well. Add chopped tomatoes.
Add chopped tomatoes and cook until oil separates.
Add boiled beans along with the water remaining in the pressure cooker and cook for a few mins. Add 1 cup water.
Spices and beans are well mixed.
Prep Time: (overnight + 5 mins) minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- red kidney beans - 2 cups, (opt for canned beans if you are in hurry)
- onion - 1 (chopped)
- garlic – ginger - 1 teaspoon (paste)
- green chilies - 2 (chopped) (optional for people who prefer less-spicier version)
- tomatoes - 6 (chopped)
- turmeric powder - ½ teaspoon
- red pepper powder - ¼ teaspoon, make it (½ to 3/4 teaspoon for more heat)
- garam masala - ½ teaspoon
- coriander seeds powder - 1 1/2 teaspoon
- olive oil - 1-2 tablespoon
- cumin seed - ½ teaspoon
- coriander leaves - few leaves (chopped)
- salt - to taste
- Wash the kidney beans and soak in water overnight. (not for canned bean)
- Cook beans in a pressure cook with just enough water to cover them for 3-4 whistles. (if not, using canned bean)
- Heat oil in a pan.
- Add cumin seeds for a few seconds.
- Add onions and sauté until gold brown.
- Add garlic-ginger paste and fry for 1-2 mins.
- Add garam masala, turmeric powder, red chili, coriander powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Add tomatoes and cook until oil separates.
- Add boiled beans along with the water remaining in the pressure cooker and cook for a few mins.
- Add 1 cup water and cook for 5-8 minutes until spices and beans are well mixed.
- Turn off the gas.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with rice.