The healthy combination of nutrients from the veggies and fibers from the whole-wheat pita breads in this typical Greek dish will definitely woo the health buffs. Though this salad is so flavorsome and filling that one doesn’t really need to be a health conscious person to fall in love with it. The facts that it hardly takes 10 minutes to get ready and is portable make it more desirable to the mass. So whether you make it for lunch or serve it in a picnic, Greek salad Pitas are bound to please. However, make sure that you pack the salad as well as pitas in separate container and assemble them right before serving; after all who likes soggy pita sandwiches!
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 2 minutes
- cucumber - 1/2 seeded, diced
- red bell pepper - 1/2, diced
- roma tomatoes - 2, diced
- zucchini - 1/2, diced, optional
- crumbled feta cheese - 1/4 cup
- peperoncini - 5-7, chopped, optional
- pitted black olives or Greek kalamata olives - 1/4 cup
- red wine vinegar - 1 tsp, optional
- lemon juice - 2 tsp
- dried oregano - 3/4 tsp
- salt - to taste
- black pepper - to taste
- whole wheat pita breads - 2, halved, warmed
- lettuce leaves - a few
- Combine the cucumber, red bell pepper, tomatoes, zucchini, feta cheese, peperoncini, and olives in a bowl.
- Whisk the vinegar, lemon juice, oregano, salt and pepper in another bowl.
- Pour over vegetables and toss to mix.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer salad mixture to pita bread halves.
- Serve immediately.
NOTE: If you don't want sour, you can omit peperoncini and Greek kalamata olives and use black olives.