Who doesn’t heart a comforting treat of mac and cheese? My kids are not an exception either! The plain flavors of this classic pasta dish have its own gastronomic appeal, but few add-ons give it a yummier makeover! A dash of tomato-laced ragu sauce works wonder to the pasta and my kids gobbled up this version of macaroni and cheese in no time! The freshness of the basil and the crunchy outer crust complemented the tart sauce and made the ensemble taste yummier. It’s a simple yet delicious dish which gets ready in less than 30 minutes – what more can a busy Mom like me ask for!
Prep Time: 10-15 minutes
Cook Time: 30-40 minutes
- elbow macaroni - 2 cups
- basil - 2 tbsp, chopped
- breadcrumb - 5 tbsp
- cheese - any kind, cheddar cheese or monterey jack cheese or vegan cheese
- Ragu Pasta sauce - 1-2 jars, I used Mama's Special Garden and Mushroom & Green Pepper
- Cook macaroni for 8 minutes or until al dente. Drain.
- Grease a deep baking dish (oven-proof).
- Spoon tomato sauce into the base of the dish.
- Top with the macaroni.
- Sprinkle cheese.
- Repeat the layers from 3 to 5. I used 2 layers.
- Combine breadcrumbs and basil and mix well and sprinkle over the top.
- Cook in oven at 400 F for about 15 minutes or until it’s golden brown and bubbling.
- Serve and Enjoy!
Note: You can put butter and parmesan cheese. These are optional.
Spoon tomato sauce into the base of the dish.
Top with the macaroni.
Repeat the layers from step 3 to 5. I used 2 layers.
Combine breadcrumbs and basil and mix well and sprinkle over the top.
Cook in oven at 400 F for about 15 minutes or until it’s golden brown and bubbling.