Lactose-Free Cream of Tomato Soup
Winter to me pretty much means living off of scorching soups due to the number of times I get sick during the season. Normally people eat a lot of chicken noodle soup to recover but I eat tomato soup. I don’t exactly eat it, I practically gorge it down because it’s so good! I’ve always been a big fan of soups but seeing how much butter and cream restaurants put in it, I easily get put off by them. However, I recently discovered the secret to the thick consistency and buttery taste (without all the bad stuff that follows of course) which is -drumroll please- a YAM! The yam naturally makes the soup sweeter, creamier and gives it a buttery taste so it’s still as tasty as store-bought soups and it’s a lot healthier too!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Cut the tomatoes into 4 pieces
- Peel and cut yam into smaller pieces
- Place all of the ingredients into a large saucepan (approximately 3 quarts) and cover with lid
- Boil on medium flame until all of the vegetables are soft for about 10-15 minutes
- Turn off the flame and cool
- If using hand-blender, blend; if using a normal blender, blend and strain
- Serve hot with croutons
**Note: Using yam in this soup naturally makes it sweeter, creamier and gives it a buttery taste.